Re: libdbi maintainership needs help

Cc: Clint Byrum who maintains the package in Ubuntu.

On 07/12/2011 08:01 PM, Angel Abad wrote:
> Hi Thomas, Im Angel Abad, Im Debian Maintainer and Ubuntu Developer.
>
> Im not use libdbi, but I think I can help you to improve the package
> and get it in better shape.

Basically, we need to close the current bugs, and manage the transition
in Debian. Also, I disabled the postgress test suite from
libdbi-drivers, it would be great to re-enable it (but I have no time to
work on it).

> I made some probes, and I can help you to run it with dh 7 simplistic
> (6 lines) debian/rules, switch it to 3.0 (quilt) format, and also make
> it multi-arch for experimental.

I don't think you can switch to a simplistic debian/rules style. It will
simply not work. I tried using the 3.0 (quilt) format, using autreconf
and other tools, it simply didn't work. I finally ended up making a
debian/build folder, copy all files there, build, and finally install
from there. Otherwise, building is modifying so many upstream files,
which either end up in the diff or in the Git. I think it's very goo
this way already.

As for upstream, I think it would be great if they modified their
Makefile.am and such so that it would clean things correctly. There's so
many built files in the original archive ...

> If you want my help please ping me, and I can send you debdiffs with my changes.
>
> Regards,

Maybe a git patch would be better.

On 09/29/2007 07:11 PM, Mario Iseli wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 02:05:09AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Hello,
>
> Hi Thomas!
>
>> Bellow is the mail I received from the upstream of libdbi. The current
>> maintainer, David Parker, is Cc: to this message, so he can reply if he
>> is still interested in doing the maintenance.
>>
>> If David is not willing to continue maintaining it, I can try to take
>> over the package.
>
> He seems to be inactive for a quite long time. His MIA history is long
> too. I have orhpaned the package due to this and you can pick up the
> package if you want to maintain it. :)
>
> Regards,

Exactly! I pinged him multiple times before I took over the
maintainer-ship, and had no reply. So I took over, because nobody did,
and it was one of the reverse-dependency of mod_sql. But I don't really
use libdbi. So I maintained it basically to help others, and finally, I
didn't do a good job. Mainly, the issue is the time it took to manage
issues (others complained about it), and this is what I want to avoid in
the near future, which is why I wrote this email to -release and -devel.
I didn't even keep him on Cc: to this email...

Clint: *never* again ask me to hold on an upload, and especially not
because of an Ubuntu reason. I wont do that again. That's a very bad
idea, which have bring hate from others.

Now, at this point, if we have enough volunteer, I think we should build
a project and a mailing list in Alioth, so that we can maintain
collectively. At least, it should be moved to colab-maint. Feel free to
pull from my repository:

Vcs-Browser: http://git.debian.org/?p=users/zigo/libdbi.git
Vcs-Git: http://git.debian.org/git/users/zigo/libdbi.git

and push that in colab-maint. Note that there's currently 4 branches, to
track upstream code vs the Debian additions in different releases:
debian-sid, debian-squeeze, upstream-sid, upstream-squeeze.

Thomas