Re: Lintian as a static analysis framework

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> - the reborn of a sources.debian.org service (sort of browsable /
>  highlighted/ searchable Debian sources at your fingertips on the web)

Is there any info about this?

Last year Noel was working on such a project also:

http://wiki.debian.org/source.debian.org

At one point there was source.debian.net running OpenGrok, a very nice
Java-based source code indexer.

> - Coccinelle [1] runs on the whole of Debian sources, meant to be
>  integrated with DACA [2]

Very nice.

> I've ended up cooking up my own code for the above (not all is done
> yet), but there clearly a good part of it that could be factored out
> (and done better). Do you think the framework you're imagining at this
> point could help with any or all of the above?  If yes, I'll be happy to
> provide testing and/or comment on whether the design would fit the need
> of the above use cases.

I'm thinking yes but I'm not that familiar with lintian internals so I
will leave that to them.

> FWIW, I believe many other wannabe entrants in DACA would benefit from
> the addressing of similar use cases.

Yeah, DACA was my initial thought here. Why not have a
source-has-warnings-from-cppcheck lintian warning and logs for those
on lintian.d.o. Same goes for lots of the other existing checkers
listed in the mentors metrics[1] ideas; jpeginfo --check, pngcheck,
mp3diags, desktop-file-validate, fontlint, gettext-lint etc.

Of course, the addition of these many external checkers will mean more
CPU and I/O time. I guess the lintian vendor stuff could be leveraged
to have a set of profiles for different amounts of checking. In
addition this could mean that a more distributed approach to
processing packages for lintian.d.o would be better.

Looking at the metrics again, I'm also thinking about debexpo, Mole,
puiparts and that some consolidation of efforts would be nice. With a
few feature additions, maybe it would even be possible to merge
rpmlint one day ;)

1. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsNet#Metrics

--
bye,