Re: Proposing yada for removal

Hi

On 08/06/2011 05:53 PM, Tim Retout wrote:
> yada was recently orphaned: http://bugs.debian.org/636735 - I would
> like to propose it for removal.  I believe it is unlikely to find a
> maintainer.
>
> There is a serious bug affecting all packages built using yada - yada
> modifies the build-dependencies of the package during each build.
> This will require some investment to fix, as it requires changing
> how/when control files are regenerated:
> http://bugs.debian.org/334164
>
> 14 packages Build-Depend on yada in unstable.

I guess these 14 RC bugs should be filed?

> Other packages can perform the same role as yada, notably debhelper and cdbs.
>
> Popcon is low - 121 installs, with a vote of just 21, and 98 old installs:
> http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=yada
>
> Since it is a native package, the fact that it is orphaned means that
> there is currently no active development.

I think it would be best to just remove it. There are better
alternatives that are well maintained.

For the reverse build dependencies, there are some that probably should
just be removed (candidates could be cvsconnect, cvssuck, henplus and
ldapdns from a first look), some already have a patch (from Ubuntu:
gramofile, libapache2-mod-auth-plain, libnss-db), that would leave 7
remaining ones, were I'm sure there are volunteers to send patches when
necessary.

Cheers

Luk