Re: Request to Hijack libdbd-sybase-perl

Okay,

I admit I look like an asshole here. And I suppose I am not being too
nice about this. I apologize to Steve if this looks like a personal
attack, I admit that in some ways it was. because I was upset when I
wrote this mail. The first thought that went through my mind when
reading through the bug reports filed on this module were, "How could
somebody leave bugs open for over 6 years?" -- Mind you, six years is
a long time in the IT world.

The way I see it, and I would hope Debian Developers (in general)
agree that either a package should be appropriately maintained or
orphaned.

I understand that Steve (vorlon) is very active in the Debian and
Ubuntu communities, and I'm grateful for all that. He's doing a lot of
work with shaping new policies which is of really great importance,
and I'm glad he's investing his talent to something so beneficial to
both the Debian and Ubuntu communities. I also understand he's
probably really busy, with life, with other commitments... all of
which are probably of a higher priority than libdbd-sybase-perl.

I want to see the package appropriately maintained, whether that is by
Steve or by myself (or by someone else) doesn't matter. While I
understand things like upgrading a package can't get fixed right away,
3+ years to upgrade from 1.00 to 1.06 seems a bit excessive to me.

So, please, please tell me how to proceed from here. Do we continue
keeping an outdated (and next to useless) package in Debian? Do we
ignore the various bug fixes which have included segfaults in older
versions? Should we ask that users simply install this package from
CPAN (thus defeating the entire purpose of having libdbd-sybase-perl
in Debian)?

Cheers,

Jonathan