Re: Roland Rosenfeld MIA?

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:

You're right, I don't have too much time for Debian at the moment, but
I don't think I'm MIA.

Fine.

But xfig is a special case.  I'm waiting for the upstream maintainer
who sent me a pre release of his package without public releasing it
and after this he seems to be MIA.

René, who reported the problem told me, that at his question to
the author he responded that xfig will not be maintained any more.
He also sended a patch to Gentoo where it was included quickly.

So now I'm unsure whether I should go on with the old buggy release
version or with the unpublished test release, which I already packaged
but don't want to publish...

I have not dealt with this but according to René chances are low
for new releases.

Anyway, what bug are you talking about?  The is no bug in xfig tagged
as "patch".  Maybe I simply missed this bug or I missed to respond to
it...

Ahh, stupid me - I should have probably used the bug in CC (which is
now).  It is #497004.

Metaquestion: I wonder whether it might make sense to start an
inter-distribution effort to manitain patches against software
orphaned upstream.  Examples to my knowledge are Midnight Commander
(even if recently something happened), feh (where I tried to take
over Debain maintenance but catching up with dead upstream code
bugs takes much longer than I wanted) and probably many others.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de