Re: How to re-upload a removed package?

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Alejandro Rios
<alejandro.rios@avatar.com.co> wrote:

> 1. Should I upload it to unstable or to proposed-updates?

That depends on your intention. At the minimum, the security issue
should be fixed in oldstable even though security support for it
expires in February. For that you need to follow this procedure:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#bug-security

By uploading to unstable and more importantly maintaining the package
in the future you ensure that destar will remain available in Debian
and be available in future releases.

> 2. If uploading to unstable, should I make other changes different from
> those that are related to the security bugs (i.e. for lintian warnings,
> standars version), or not?

If you intend for the package to be available in future Debian
releases, you should do some or all of the following:

Clean up the package for lintian, policy, dh7, dpkg-source v3 etc.

Get in contact with upstream (which seems to have become active again
since destar was removed) to get the security issue fixed there and a
new release made. If you have time you could also get involved in
developing the software to ensure it does not get removed from Debian
again.

Contact the former maintainers of the Debian destar package - Debian
VoIP Team - and ask them if they would be interested in maintaining it
now that upstream is active again. If so you could join the team and
help them maintain it in their SVN repository. If not, then you could
maintain it yourself through sponsorship:

http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
http://wiki.debian.org/SponsorChecklist

When a package is removed from Debian, all the bugs are closed (by
Marco Rodrigues). So you should look at the bug list (archived and
non-archived) for destar and reopen the ones that are closed in
version 0.2.2-5.2+rm, then try to get them fixed:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;src=destar

Fix all the issues listed on the PTS page:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/destar.html

Ensure that the package will pass the NEW queue:

http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

Import the changes from the Ubuntu package:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/destar

Look at the Ubuntu bugs too (inc closed ones):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/destar

The next Debian/Ubuntu releases are quite soon so you'll need to do
the above fairly quickly.

--
bye,
pabs