Re: Debconf QA BOF summary / handling of orphaned packages

Hi all,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:53, Lucas Nussbaum<lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is some notes (from memory) about the QA BOF, and the actions that
> we are likely to take during the next weeks/months.

I wasn't there (eheh, you should know it ;) ) and I didn't look at the
video, so my comments could have been already raised, sorry for the
noise in that case.

> Removal of orphaned packages
> ============================
> The audience clearly want orphaned packages to be removed. I'm not quite
> sure it's reasonable to do that. However, clearly, there's no opposition
> to this idea. When snapshots.debian.org will be fully fonctional, a web
> interface will allow users to fetch and install removed packages.

What about only remove them from testing?

- no need to do a QA upload to move to experimental (consider all
those O package that didn't receive yet a QA upload) or ftp-master
team involved (that would reduce a bit their workload, already
overloaded)
- easy of access for developers, or all those others that uses
unstable as suite, to orphaned packages, to work on them (their would
be a 'apt-get source' away)
- if your package is bind to an orphaned one to transit to testing,
you're "force" to adopt it or find a way to properly maintain it (it
sounds a bit hard, but that will converge to have a set of packages in
testing properly maintained without relay on orphaned pkgs)
- less work, since just a testing hint is needed, probably it can also
be automated (if we want to)

> Raise the awareness about orphaned packages
> For developers:
> ---------------
> The idea of a cron script in devscripts was proposed again, and didn't
> receive much opposition. Of course it adds to the daily batch of mails
> that admins have to read, so we have to make sure that it is written in
> a useful way.

about that, I though to re-implement this [1] experiment as a UDD CGI.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~morph/qa_packages_analyze.html

This allows to split the orphaned lists in subset allowing to select
packages you (or your team) care them most (for example, take all the
perl libs).

If you think it worths, I'll work on it, but nothing before ~3 weeks.

Regards,