Re: some UDD schema changes

Hi:

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Lucas Nussbaum<lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've squashed a few items off my TODO list about UDD. I did the
> following changes:
>
> - 'release' columns are now ENUMs everywhere. This allows to compare two
>  releases ('etch' < 'squeeze') or to order by release.
Oh, very nice, I didn't know you could compare ENUM that way.

> - all_packages_distrelcomparch (which was a hack) was replaced by two
>  different tables (for Debian and Ubuntu) and a
> all_packages_distrelcomparch view.
>
> - lintian's tag_type column is now an ENUM as well. The order I chose
>  is:
> ENUM('experimental', 'overriden', 'pedantic', 'information', 'warning',
> 'error');
> However, that's suboptimal, since experimental, overriden, and the
> severities are orthogonal. But that's what is exported by lintian.log.
> Is lintian.log really the best way to fetch information from
> lintian.debian.org?
>
> - Some indices proposed by Enrico were added.
>
> It is worth noting that none of those changes require changes in your
> queries (unless you relied on sorting releases or lintian tags
> alphabetically, which doesn't sound like something you want to do).
>
> However, turning release into an ENUM required changes in related tables
> (packages and packages_summary), and the only way to sanely apply them
> was to drop the table and create them again. Which I did, so the tables
> are filling up again slowly, and will be completely filled in a few
> hours.

I wasn't sure if the schema was frozen or if there are too many things
depending on the UDD to change it, but something that might be worth
considering is putting the ubuntu and debian stuff in a different
schema. That is, the debian tables would be in the default schema, and
ubuntu would have its own schema, so that you do queries like:

SELECT * FROM ubuntu.bugs ...

This is basically replacing the ubuntu_ prefix with an actual schema separation.

And under PostgreSQL you can work with multiple schemas from a single
user account/database, which is pretty sweet.