Re: RM: libjpeg-mmx -- RoQA; RC-buggy, security-buggy, orphaned, dead upstream

Hi,

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Mohammed Adnène Trojette wrote:
On Fri, Aug 11, 2006, Michael Ablassmeier wrote:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 07:12:26PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
I'd like to suggest to remove libjpeg-mmx, it adds libjpeg code duplication
requiring duplicate DSAs for libjpeg security problems, only provides static
libs, is dead upstream, RC buggy and according to Google the performance
gains are marginal.

libjpeg-mmx has long been removed from Debian, but I will try to provide
some fresh arguments.

1. Real "upstream" is the same for libjpeg62 and libjpeg-mmx. Both are
derived from 6b release by the Independent JPEG Group.

2. The first point means that most security fixes for libjpeg62 can be
cherry-picked for libjpeg-mmx.

3. It looks like a variant of libjpeg-mmx from [A] provides up to double
performance boost for ZoneMinder GPL'd video surveilance suite. Details
here [B].

What is necessary to revive the package, if at all possible?

A. http://cetus.sakura.ne.jp/softlab/jpeg-x86simd/jpegsimd.html
B. http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6419

--
Sergey Yanovich