Replacing defoma [was: Removing orphaned packages from testing]

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Raphael Geissert
> <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If there are 148 packages there should be at least what, 20 maintainers? (I
>> would hope there are far more) why don't they, or the fonts team, adopt
>> defoma? or replace it with something else? 16 months of preparation of
>> squeeze should be more than enough time to do any of both options.
>
> I hope to patch up the 6 or so packages that actually need defoma to
> switch to fontconfig so we can remove defoma for good. As a first
> start I've filed a few bugs upstream (except for
> xorg/x-ttcidfont-conf) and will be working on porting these to
> fontconfig after filing bugs on the Debian side. I think the rest of
> the packages are just fonts and the defoma deps can easily be removed.
> After that dh_installdefoma can be removed from debhelper and the
> defoma bits can be removed from fontconfig.
>
> .
> .
> .

Paul,

Do you have enough familiarity with defoma to put together a guide for
font maintainers to transition from defoma to whatever the alternative
will be?  Should we just use fontconfig for TrueType/OpenType fonts?
I use defoma for installing the unifont packages.  I've seen requests
to adopt defoma, but know after looking at the source code that I
don't have the time to properly maintain a package of that size.

> --
> bye,
> pabs
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise