Re: Self-assessment of the quality of the maintenance work

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Luk Claes wrote:
> I don't think sending active maintainers questionaires is very helpful.

I don't think the active/not active criteria is so easy to find out. I can
be active on dpkg while being not active on my others packages. At some
point I must recognize that I've lost interest in the other packages and
retire from the co-maintainers and/or update my status.

But I certainly agree that we should strive to make this as painless as
possible in general and we can certainly find ways to attract the
attention of each maintainer only when we have hints that something is
going wrong.

> Though I'm not a priori against such a self-assessment, I think it
> should at least only be sent to people when needed (not in case of VAC,
> not when clearly active on all packages, not when all packages are
> orphaned ...).

Agreed, the purpose of the DEP would be to spell out all the cases and precise
how the thing should behave in every situation.

Raphaël Hertzog