Re: dag2html: a package in need of some love

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 11:14 +0900, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:48 PM, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:
>
> >  > Is it even worth it?  It's buggy, has a popcon of 12, and hasn't seen an
> >  > upstream update since 2001??  My vote would be for removal.
> >
> >  I agree, and I haven't seen any interest in picking it up.
> >
> >  Would anyone object to me filing a removal request?
>
> I consider it to be a shame that Debian doesn't have the resources to
> prevent the Debian OS from losing functionality.

Yes, it is a shame.

However, there are also cases in which keeping a package around actually
creates more work for people that could be spent elsewhere.

I'm sure we can find a good balance.

> In this particular case, have the stakeholders been contacted? I'm
> thinking of the dag2html/geneweb upstream (and any Debian users they
> know of), the Debian maintainer of geneweb (and any Debian users they
> know of).

http://cristal.inria.fr/~ddr/dag2html/

That's the upstream URL in the copyright file. There hasn't been a
release since the one that is in the archives, and that is timestamped
03/01. I can contact them if you would like.

For the geneweb part I am Ccing Christian. Christian, do you know of
anybody that would be interested in the dag2html package? Would it
be worth contacting your upstream?

Thanks,

James