Re: Report from Debconf's QA BOF

[no CC please]

tim hall wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:

>>> Sure, Luk was here, and didn't express any disagreement. Actually, I
>>> tried hard to give several opportunities to raise concerns, but
>>> everybody apparently really agreed with the proposal.
>>
>> Hrm, ok...  well, I still disagree, but I seem to be overruled :)
>
> FWIW I agree with Steve here. I think a package should be identified as
> 'broken' in order to force removal.

Quoting Luk:
> The orphanage bug being RC does only mean that it needs to be adopted,
> removed (from unstable and/or testing) or downgraded before the next
> release IMHO.

The default policy is going to be: orphaned packages are not candidates in shape
for a release; but as Luk said, the severity might be lowered if needed (such
case would be discussed whenever such a case exists; /me trying to answer
Lucas' question).

> Obviously an allowance needs to be
> made for packages with really low popcon scores as it's possible that
> no-one cares enough to report anything.

If nobody cares enough to report "anything" then why should we keep them? I
think that's the main rationale here. Of course, making it a release goal (as
in terms of RC, not RG) would allow anyone to know that if nothing happens it
won't be shipped, thereby making people react to those problems (yes, having
orphaned packages is a problem).

Please note that I'm trying to express what was expressed and discussed during
the BoF, and I apologise in advance if I missed anything (relevant to this
email) or I generalised too much.

> cheers,
>
> tim

Raphael Geissert - Debian Maintainer