Re: [udd] injecting debtags information

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:01:58AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> At the moment, these two (that need to be merged together):
>
>   svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb/tagdb

This one does not exist, but there is
  svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb/tags
which I'm quite sure is what you meant. The format looks obvious ...

>   svn://svn.debian.org/svn/secure-testing/data/package-tags

.. while the format of this one is obscure to me, as I don't see any
tags in it, but only something like sections.

> They are not updated daily: the debtags/tagdb one is updated whenever I
> do a manual review, and the secure-testing one is updated whenever the
> security team commits anything to it.

This is not a problem, we will need something to download routinely, if
you update it less frequently it is not a big deal. After all we are all
happily living with sporadicly updated tag overrides in aptitude, and it
is just fine.

> I have scripts that take data from both sources, merge them and upload
> it as tag overrides.  I have been meaning for a long time to also
> publish the merged dataset somewhere, but I've never had the excuse to
> push me to do it.  This could be the excuse: let me know if you have
> special requirements, otherwise I was thinking of publishing it
> similarly to what you find in http://debtags.debian.org/tags/

Yes, the merged data set would be wonderful.

It looks like that http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/tags/tags-current.gz
has the very same format of the first URL you mentioned, so maybe we can
start injecting tags-current.gz and switch to the URL of the merged
dataset as soon as it is available. Would it be OK with you?

Any other drawback in polling against tags-current.gz rather than
against tags from svn?

Finally, my understanding is that the only tags coming from
testing-security are those related to the security support of a given
package, and that all other tags are coming from the debtags alioth
project. Is this correct?

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the