Re: parsing debian-devel-changes archives

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:45:34AM +0200, Filippo Giunchedi wrote:
> I've produced a script[0] to parse d-d-changes archives to a sane format so to
> produce an history of uploads made to debian[1] in this form:

Very cool!

> comments/ideas welcome as usual,

I think the greatest part of your work is that you crunched the mail
archives, which weren't really accessible, and put them in a format
which is more accessible.  Still, the format you choose is it not *that*
accessible either (but hey, it is way better than before :)).

As the data encoded by d-d-changes is basically timed change
notifications, I would say that the more appropriate format to represent
it is a feed format, such as RSS or Atom, what do you think? Having such
a format would enable cool stuff to be created quite easily (e.g. even
using, say, Pipes), such as per-maintainer feed changes. Personally it
is something I would like to have linked from the DDPO.

It shouldn't be to hard to convert (or maybe pair) your format to RSS,
with an appropriate XML encoding of its content, shout if you want to
discuss a potential DTD.  Maybe a bit harder can be to provide more
lively updates, as if one then wants to use RSS as such, weekly updates
are too coarse grained ...

Many thanks for the idea!
Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the