Re: Orphaned packages that were not part of etch

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:40:01PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Some of these packages were orphaned within the past month. I don't feel
> such packages should be removed from testing; people may just not have
> reacted to the orphaning yet.

IME after the first few days it rarely makes any difference. But in
general I think the cost of adding superfluous packages to a stable
release is higher than uploading a backport.

And let me stress the fact that the QA group currently "maintains"
over 500 fucking packages. And as one of the few people actually doing
QA uploads I can honestly say I feel the pain.

> Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > cryopid: popcon 233/23/203/7/0, RC bug, no rdepends
> >  -> keep in unstable
>
> This seems potentially insanely useful.
>
> It also seems to be maintained by Christoph Berg as of 0.5.9.1-4.

Nope, see #428739.

> > sparkline-php: popcon 4/2/2/0/0, new upstream, no rdepends
> >  -> remove
>
> This is a minor dependency of ikiwiki. (Ie, two plugins don't work w/o
> it.) I often forget to add Suggests for little things like that, but
> please treat it like ikiwiki suggests it.

Can't be that important given the popcon numbers (especially if you
compare them with ikiwikis numbers).

If you still care about the package, maybe you should consider a RFA
instead of orphaning?

But I will certainly not request to remove it against your objections.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/