Re: Mass bug filing: non-UTF8 debian/{control.changelog}

Hi Russ!

You wrote:

> Amaya <amaya@debian.org> writes:
> > Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
>
> >> I'm planning to file bugs for packages that use non-UTF-8 encodings in
> >> debian/control and/or debian/copyright.
> >
> > Can you report on any progress in this?
>
> There are four source packages left with changelog encoding problems:
> http://lintian.debian.org/reports/tags/debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding.html
> There are no remaining packages with control encoding problems.

Of those, perl is a false positive (caused by lintian not detecting the
correct changelog file), the radius bugs are pending, gkrelmms is
removed from the archive, and gmanedit is in the process of being
adopted (but I will NMU it if necessary).

I should remark here that almost all of the work was done by Christian
Perrier.  I merely reported most of the bugs;  Christian fixed most of
them.

> There is one package with a NEWS.Debian encoding problem and 417 packages
> with debian/copyright encoding problems, but those weren't release goals.

Yes, I think this should be something for lenny+1, possibly combined
with moving debian/copyright to machine-readable form [1].

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw              | GPG key: 0644fab7                     |