Re: Hard coded package names in lintian

Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> writes:

> I'm certainly ready to do a mass bug filing. There surely should be
> documentation on how to transition from gtk1.2 to gtk2.0 by now...

Yes, it says "rewrite the software to use the new APIs."

I've not seen any simple transition, apart from some wide-ranging
mechanical transformations that work with simple software.  It looked to
be beyond the level of work that we normally expect from Debian package
maintainers and involves essentially becoming upstream, from what I
understand.  (I hope I'm wrong.)

I expect the most likely result will be that we'll just drop nearly all
GTK 1.0 software from the archive entirely, not that anything that hasn't
already moved to GTK 2.0 will actually do so.