Re: oops is pretty unmaintained and has RC bug: #406491

* Reinhard Tartler [Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:12:13 +0200]:

> Hello dear QA Team,

> I'm having a hard time with a package I'm co-maintaining. It is a small
> proxy server called oops. It currently doesn't work with glibc > 2.5,
> see #406491 for details.

> I cannot reach the original Maintainer Michael Zehrer (his mailserver
> refuses to accept mails), and upstream seems to be dead for years. I'm
> no longer using the package and there have no longer interest in
> maintaining it. Popcon reports about 20 users for the package.

> I wanted to ask if someone from the QA team thinks this package was
> worthwile to keep. If yes, I'll orphan the package. If not, I'd like to
> ask for its removal.

Normally it's the task of the maintainer to decide which of orphaning
and removing is appropriate, and debian-qa only pops in when there isn't
a maintainer. This is because the maintainer is probably the best suited
person to make that decision.

Since Michael has not touched the package for two years, I think it's
fully your call whether to remove or only orphan the package. As a point
of interest, with the data you provide (upstream dead for years, low
user count) and no further information, debian-qa would most likely ask
for a removal.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Hey, I am a young, desirable woman.
                -- Lorelai Gilmore, addressing two cats in her porch