Build-Depends and virtual packages

Hi all,

Over the last few days, I've been looking at Build-Depends and
Build-Depends-Indep fields. My original aim was something like trying to
have a build path to rebuild the complete archive, with only a Sources
file as starting data (basically, src:foo build-depends on libbar-dev in
the "Binary" field from src:bar means src:foo depends on src:bar).

I ended up with quite a large number(around 700) of build-depends on
packages not listed as binary. The large majority of these are the result
of transitions, with the new binary package providing the old one. The
most common cases are build-dependencies on libncurses-dev, libz-dev or
the various libpng*-dev.

Basically, that's the same sort of test as the lintian
virtual-package-depends-without-real-package-depends warning, except
lintian only checks against the authoritative list of virtual packages,
where what I have checks for build-deps (and only build-deps) on anything
that is not an actual binary package.

Also, the checks give separate results for Build-Depends and
Build-Depends-Indep and are for a given arch. So, if a package
"Architecture : all" build-depends on one "Architecture : sparc", it will
complain for the other arches. Obviously, if an alternative depency is
against a real package, it s considered as ok.

I have results I will put online as soon as I convert them in a better
format than a simple text list, but if you have comments on what to do
with this list, they are more than welcome. In the meantime, attached are
raw results for the i386 arch.

Thanks,

Regis