Re: Hard coded package names in lintian

Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Yes.  If there are significant packages that become obsolete and
>> warrant a lintian warning to aid in a transition, please file a
>> wishlist bug against lintian and we'll include that check in the next
>> release.

>> debcheck is available for the normal case.

> The normal case being? I can't think of packages that should depend or
> build-depend on obsolete package without getting at least a warning from
> lintian?

The normal case being that lintian normally does not do this check.  This
is what debcheck is for, among other things.  lintian does not have access
to information about packages other than the one being checked, and hence
can't trigger off of a section of oldlibs or the like.

The obsolete packages listed in lintian are those for which there are
significant transitions and hence lintian warnings are a desireable
addition worth maintaining the specific tag in lintian.  The normal case
of something moving into oldlibs should be handled by other tools.