URL convention to point to per-package lintian checks

Hi, I'm working a bit on the PTS these days, and I've just noticed that
the current way used to point to per-package lintian checks from the PTS
is not reliable.

For example, if you look at the PTS page of amule [1] you can notice
that the lintian URL is dangling. The current "algorithm" implemented in
the PTS to guess the appropriate lintian.debian.org page is as follows:
- check if the maintainer name contains some non-ASCII characters
  (actually also buggy, since only some accented letters are taken into
  account and characters as "ô" are not)
- if there are some, replaces them with "__"
- replace spaces with "_"
- then create a URL like
  http://lintian.debian.org/reports/mPATCHED_MAINTAINER_NAME.html#SRCPACKAGE

This does not correspond to what lintian.debian.org is doing, partly for
the PTS bug, partly for (I guess, though I'm not sure) a lintian bug
which does not replace with "__" for the last character of maintainer
name.  For example, at [2], if you look for "Adeodato Simó" you will
notice that the resulting link is
http://lintian.debian.org/reports/mAdeodato_Sim.html (and indeed PTS
pages for packages maintained by dato have 404 lintian links!).

So, question, what is the actual algorithm used by lintian.d.o to patch
maintainer names?

Beside that, should I really need to implement that in the PTS as well?
The alternative is that lintian.d.o is willing to implement a simpler
naming scheme, for example using maintainer email and creating URLs like
http://lintian.debian.org/reports/mEMAIL. In email you can patch "@"
with the usual URL escape and be done with that. What about it? I think
the resulting URL would even be easier to guess out of the blue.

Many thanks in advance, Cheers.

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/amule.html
[2] http://lintian.debian.org/reports/maintainers.html