Re: Should I report a failure to boot?

Hello,

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Michael Burschik wrote:
> I am willing to concede that it is not a kernel bug. However, I
> maintain that it is inappropriate for the owner of the kernel
> package to dismiss the bug report. If Debian wants to receive bug
> reports, the maintainers need to become more cooperative.

The way persons react may depend on their mood. I have just eaten a
good lunch and I am at peace with myself :-)

> I would claim that most users are unable to correctly identify the
> source of most problems without active help from maintainers.

One of the corollaries of this is that an actively used package gets
a larger total number of unreproducible or incorrectly assigned bugs.
This results in more harried and irritable maintainers for those
packages. Even expanding the list of co-maintainers is not enough
for some packages.

> What am I supposed to try again? File a bug report against the
> kernel? File a bug report against some other component? If so, which
> one?

Have you already filed a bug report? If so I could look at it if you
give me a reference number. (Even closed bug reports can still be accessed.)

If you have not already filed a bug report then you can send your
question[*] to debian-users (please send me a copy as I may have time to
look at it). Others on that list may have suggestions on how to fix
it. That fix could then be implemented in an appropriate package.
A wishlist or higher bug could then be filed against that package
with a patch.

The (lack of) persistent naming of devices has been a problem for
GNU/Linux for a while and even in these days of udev, dbus, hal and
so on it still hits us once in a while so we have to keep plugging
away at finding a more complete solution.

Regards,

Kapil.

[*] As usual please try to formulate the bug as clearly as
possible so that others can (try to) reproduce the problem.