Re: Orphaned games

Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, tim hall wrote:
Just an opinion on the basis of having a 12 year old son. I think it is fair to consider the playability and up-to-dateness of some of these ideas.

OK. However, some people are known to take games seriously even at 21
or 121 :-)

Absolutely, or 42 even. ;)
I mentioned my son because 12 year olds don't take prisoners when assessing the quality of games.

What constitutes a "'proper' 3d chess experience"?

In my experience, users coming from other OSes expect a conventional game of chess rendered in 3D - OpenGL style. Games involving different board configurations and/or rulesets are generally considered to be another game by serious chess players and therefore of ephemeral interest. W. Glinski's 'hexagonal chess' for three players and similar variations didn't really catch on for example. Most of the players I know turned their nose up at 3dchess.

Just MO

cheers,

tim