GNOME Debian menu UFO

I have noticed what I have chosen to describe as an Undocumented Feature Oddity in my GNOME menus and I feel it should be brought to the attention of debian-qa, because this isn't an issue for Gnome, but it might be for Debian, specifically. I believe there are already bugs open against the specific packages, but I feel this particular issue needs to be brought to the attention of those with an overview of Debian - please advise if you can think of a better place to post this.

Most Gnome users must be aware of the fact that Gnome disables various system (sub)menus by default including the 'debian' menu in the interests of keeping the menu clear. The default position is fine, but re-enabling the menu _should_ be as simple as right-clicking the 'Start Here' icon on the panel and selecting Edit Menus. Currently, the only way of achieving this is to install the alacarte menu editor and configuring it as the default menu editor, as well as ensuring that you have both menu and menu-xdg packages installed and configured correctly.

It appears to be quite a common FUQ from new Debian+Gnome users. As an example, my 12 year old son needs to access the Debian->Games menu as the Gnome Games menu is severely crippled in his estimation. I'm sure most Gnome-users on this list will be able to think of their own examples. It's really not the Debian Way to override a user's choices in this way and when it applies to the Debian Menu itself I think it is a cause for some concern. is it an appropriate concern for this list?

The best fix for this at present is to make alacarte the default menu editor for Gnome in Debian systems. The 'bug' such as it is appears to be a Gnome policy decision.

Can any of you suggest the most effective way of pursuing this issue? You can assume I know how to work the bts already. ;)

I'm interested in any thoughts or pointers on this issue.

cheers,

tim
64studio support