Re: Comment

Steve Langasek wrote:

Anyway, this is a bug in a specific package.  The QA team isn't responsible
for finding all bugs in individual packages; ask the maintainer of the lpr
package why it wasn't noticed before release...

Steve, you get me / it wrong. QA isn't responsible for finding all bugs. :)
QA is responsible, though, for QA. And at least in my case, all three boxes broke beyond repair by means Aunt Tilly has at her disposition. And that ought better not happen ... :)

Nvidia legacy is broken, actually preventing me from using that system at all (#423592).

This is a bug report filed on a package that's not in etch.  Not sure what
you would expect the QA team to do about it.

It very much *is* in Etch. I am getting it from the repository of Etch; and it was working in Sarge.

My individual settings for xfce4 are completely lost, actually making it impossible to use xfce4 with the old settings; since they prevent the xfce4 menu from appearing.

Not something that I ever like to see, but it's not at all unheard of for
upstream changes to invalidate user configurations from previous versions
without providing an upgrade path.  Debian doesn't have the resources to
compensate for every upstream who leaves their users in the lurch like this,
sorry.

Again, you get it / me wrong. Being a FOSS developer myself (though at a very humble level), I am too well aware about such predicaments. There could have been a compensation, though, kind of: Either leaving functional packages of previous versions hanging about; or; and this is the least, to solicit the user input before overwriting the binaries; warning that xfce4 will be non-functional and no settings saved. Then you'd have .xfce4 moved to .xfce4_saved or similar, and informed the user likewise.

Uwe