Re: pngcrush and bugs 331068, 338659, 355693, 352177, 330026

Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in> writes:

> This is somewhat long. My apologies in advance:
>
> A. As I posted on debian-qa earlier, the bugs mentioned in the subject
>    were discussed in png-mng-implement in the following thread.
>
>    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9575058&forum_id=43850
>
>    The upstream author of "pngcrush" (Glenn Randers-Pehrson) was
>    party to this discussion.
>
> B. Following this upstream has made available a version of pngcrush
>    called pngcrush-<version>-nolib.tar.bz2 that will fix the bug(s)
>    given above. The file is below http://pmt.sf.net/pngcrush with
>    current version 1.6.2.
>
> C. The maintainer of pngcrush has not updated the package for a long
>    time and there are a number of grave bugs open on the package.
>    Mails to the maintainer (in Dec 2005, Jan 2006) have not evoked any
>    response.
>
> D. A PNG optimizer similar called "optipng" which is similar in
>    function (but not in design) to "pngcrush" has recently entered
>    etch.

pngcrush was later orphaned -- <http://bugs.debian.org/353392> -- and is
marked as being adopted by Alexander Schmehl.

Alexander, do you still intend to adopt it?  Does optipng render
pngcrush unnecessary?

> E. I have prepared a "pngcrush" package based on pngcrush-nolib.tar.gz.
>    I am willing to adopt this package if rules do not permit an NMU
>    for such major changes.
[...]

I can do a QA upload for you, but let's see what Alexander says first.

Thanks,

Matej