Re: Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

This is a delurk. Normally I'd ignore such conversations, however John's point
here was salient enough to grab my interest. The NM process could certainly
be a bit quicker, I doubt anyone findamentally disagrees with that. However,
this approach is making me want to defend the 'party line', where I wouldn't
necessarily have done so before.

On Thursday 29 December 2005 13:45, skaller was like:
> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 03:35 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > While insiders are not qualified to comment on how outsiders *feel* about
> > the process, they are certainly the people to judge whether the *outcome*
> > of the process is the correct one.
>
> Outcome for their own personal pleasure? No: they're not
> qualified to judge the outcome either: that's a judgement made
> in the market by end users. Based on that Debian is reasonably
> successful .. but way WAY behind Microsoft. Do we really
> want that??

Bogus argument. We actually all get an opinion on this.

> >  Sorry, if you want Debian to make
> > particular changes to make it easier to contribute,
>
> Not really: I would like people who know more than me
> about the processes to choose the changes so that the
> outcome I desire is obtained -- an easier way for
> people less committed to Debian than a DD to contribute.

Let me get this: - It's not that you want to actually do any rowing yourself,
but every time you look the seats are all taken anyway?

> Ubuntu agreed with me, and made it so. It is still
> quite hard though. (It's easier to become a MOTU than
> a DD .. but it still requires way too much commitment
> to the project for someone whose primary commitment
> is to *developing* software rather than packaging it).

Good.

> >  you're much better off
> > arguing it in terms of the *benefits to the project*
>
> To whom? A project isn't a human thing, it cannot
> gain benefits. I am interested in Debian only in that
> it benefits the whole human race.

Huh?

It is so a human thing.

> It does that -- IMHO -- by making it easier to install
> and run an Open operating systems and tools.. something
> I'm all in favour of. But the process itself is still
> too much of a burden to participate in for those less
> committed to Debian -- in particular upstream developers.
> It's probably even worse for end users ;(

God, yeah. In four years' time, I might not even still be interested in
computers, or alternatively may have mastered C programming, who knows? I may
Hate Debian by then. Damn, it's so difficult to become a DD that I don't even
feel guilty about not trying to become one.

> I can suggest whole heap of things that would improve
> the situation .. but I can't choose which ones to
> implement. All I can do is ask .. please do SOMETHING
> to streamline the process a bit more and to make it
> a bit easier for more people to get involved.

OK, I'll do my bit, which is largely to shut up and stay out of the way. I'm
not a member of the Debian cognoscienti, nor am I ever likely to be. I am,
however, now that small percentage closer to accepting the status quo.

Deeper and down. ;)
--
cheers,

tim hall