Re: Help with updating nco package?

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 13:26 -0800, Charlie Zender wrote:
> Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> > nco is currently maintained by Debian QA Group. Are you willing to take
> > over? If so, you should tell them.
>
> Yes, I would like to take over nco maintainance, if it's OK with them.
> I'm not a debian developer (yet) so I would need a mentor.

If you want to take over an orphaned package (maintainer "Debian QA
Group") you are normally free to do so. The process of adopting a
package is detailed in the Developer's Reference.

I see you have found the WNPP bug. It's currently titled as if Daniel
Baumann is planning to take it over. You should discuss with him who is
going to be the maintainer (or use some kind of co-maintenance - I've
found it to be very useful if a package is co-maintained by someone with
"Debian knowledge" and someone with "upstream knowledge").

As with the specifics of your package the following:
- You have put the debian/ directory into upstream CVS. This is no
problem, but it must *not* be in any released tarballs. There's detailed
information / discussion about this to be found in the -mentors list
archives, but in short: this gets weird if someone changes the package
within Debian without committing it to upstream (e.g. a later NMU).

- Your package is "Debian native" while there's no reason to. You should
make it a regular package, i.e. with an orig.tar.gz as it is released
upstream, and a .diff.gz containing Debian-specific changes.

Good luck with packaging!

Thijs