Re: dvipng: Version 1.8 package (NMU / New Maintainer)

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 05:16:06PM +0100, James Westby wrote:
> On (16/09/06 21:34), Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, James Westby wrote:
> > >   * The debian/copyright file is lacking. There is no copyright
> > >     information, what is referred to as Copyright is in fact a License,
> > >     and not a copy of a license header from the package.
> >
> > I didn't follow. The debian/copyright file contains the copyright
> > information which for this program is given the statement of the
> > author that the program is available under the GPL. I must be missing
> > something here ...
> >

> The debian/copyright file states
>
> Copyright:
>
>    dvipng is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
>    the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
>    Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
>    version.
>
>    dvipng is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
>    ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
>    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for
>    more details.
>
> Whereas this is in fact the License of dvipng, though not one of the
> license headers from the source code.

It certainly *looks* like (part of) what you would find in the header of a
source file.

Kapil: there are a couple of bits missing from this, though -- the copyright
attribution, and identification of where the text quoted was taken from.
You should end up with something like this:

Copyright:

Taken from main.c:

  Copyright (C) 2005 Joe Bloggs <email@example.com>
  Copyright (C) 2003-2006 Fred Nurks <f.nurks@example.edu>

  dvipng is free software; etc

You should do a bit of a whip-around the source files to see if there's any
source files that might be under a different licence, or even documentation
or support materials that are licenced differently.  If you do find anything
that's different, you add extra stanzas to document the differences and
label which parts of the software the different statements apply to.

> See http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html
> and the links from there.

I heartily endorse this product and/or event.

- Matt