Re: Help transition to gettext 0.15

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 07:52:39PM -0300, Damián Viano wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 10:28:31PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > gettext 0.15 causes several FTBFS, for different reasons.  In
> > order to find all problems and to provide fixes, it would help
> > to know which packages FTBFS, with build logs.  Could someone
> > rebuild all packages which Build-Depends{,-Indep}: gettext?
> > I have no hardware to do this myself.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Hi, I've done this already, and also filled bugs (with some patches) for
> the FTBFS I've found.
>
> I'm uploading my results here http://lug.fi.uba.ar/~des/gettext_0.15/
>
> There you will find:
>
> - rdep: list of packages rebuilt
> - results: results for the first run (0 success, other failure)
> - results_rebuilt: results for the re-run
> - buildlogs/package.log: package build log
> - buildlogs/package_rebuild.log: package re-run build log
> - gtt15.tar.bz2: tarball with all the above
>
> All the packages where built on *the same* pbuilder environment, so it
> was not-so-clean, but I guess that it represent a decent build
> environment.

Thanks, but there are several problems:
  * Your pbuilder environment is not clean, so you were not able
    to build packages which Build-Conflicts any flavour of automake,
    like gtoaster.
  * Due to this unclean environment, bugs are somewhat hidden because
    the aclocal command is the one you selected by alternatives, and
    may be different from the one specified in Build-Depends{,-Indep};
    for instance I do not see how your patch in #386072 can work, since
    you modify lines after aclocal is called, and this is this command
    which fails.
  * You did not rebuild packages which Build-Depends-Indep: gettext

It would IMO be nice to rebuild packages in a clean environment; I put
the list of packages at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/gettext.list
if someone can rebuild these packages.

> The bugs I've seen from this rebuilt are mostly 3:
> - #386487: FTBFS: aclocal: macro `AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' required but not
> 	defined
> - #385235: gettext 0.15 causes build failures in multiple packages
> - some about @MKINSTALLDIRS@ failures, which was previously being
> 	defined in AM_GNU_GETTEXT and now it's not

Yes it seems that there are very few bugs, this is good news.
Did you file bugs for all the failures you found?
Thanks.

Denis