How to track a specific sub-set of packages

Hi all,

I want to track a specific sub-set of packages, namely those listed by
apt-cache search "multimedia|audio|music"
And ideally merge various other bits of information from the BTS.

If any one of you could take the time to explain the best way of going about this, I would very much appreciate some guidance. I have been lurking on this list for several months now and I've been all over qa.d.o, packages.d.o &c. and I probably could figure a long handed approach, but it would take me a month of Sundays. The critical issue is how to access the data in an easily parseable form, particularly the wnpp info. I'm currently reading through the scripts in the reportbug package, it seemed a reasonable place to start looking.

I'm not a DD, which is probably obvious, nor have I ever studied computer science. Two things that make me quite an effective idiot tester. I would like to learn how to do proper methodical testing of multimedia packages, focussed on audio applications. My intention is to provide qa support for Debian-multimedia.

This is part of a move to formulate a proper Debian multimedia Policy and integrate A/DeMuDi packages back into the main tree.

As I say, any pointers, guidance, hints etc. would be very much appreciated at this stage.

cheers,

tim hall
/|\