Re: xlibs-dev transition; packages with adjusted dependencies needing upload

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 05:29:44PM -0800, Marc Singer wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 05:22:45PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> writes:

> > > I'm getting a build failure on s390 for the updated package.  For some
> > > reason, the libX11.a librarary isn't being found by ld.  It's looking in
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib.  Am I misunderstanding another change in the X11
> > > libraries?

> > Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why would you want the package to
> > be linking statically with libX11?  Or did you mean libX11.so?

> I don't think it is.  I erroneously stated the reported error.  The
> compiler complained that it couldn't find -lX11.

>   c++ -g  -lX11 -lXext -o o/xo o/ldisplay.o o/lwindow.o o/lfont.o o/wbutton.o o/wtext.o o/wdialog.o
>   +o/lhash.o o/larray.o o/res.o o/dmalloc.o o/dither.o o/lpicture.o o/loupe.o o/stats.o o/res_l.o o/res_y.o
>   > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
>   > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> Unfortunately, the reporter omitted the rest of the build log.  The
> autoconf script should have found the X11 library, but it looks like
> it didn't.

Explanation for this problem is here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2005-09/msg00023.html

Simple fix is to re-run autoconf on the package, to pick up a new definition
of the AC_PATH_X macro.

Alternative fix is to add libxt-dev to the build-deps, even though libxt-dev
isn't used for anything but the configure check.