Re: Matthew Vernon MIA (Was: biosquid and Hmmer)

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 08:00:29PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Steve Langasek wrote:

> >I think that if such a change is made to the Uploaders: field of a package
> >without the maintainer's approval, this means that instead of just
> >hijacking
> >the package, you've hijacked the package and then *lied* about it.  It
> >isn't
> >comaintenance unless the parties explicitly agree to it.
> Well, it does not necessary be a lie if you mention it explicitely in
> the changelog.  If Matthew would not have shown up for whatever reason
> I think it might have been a reasonable alternative to a not approved
> NMU.

The line "Uploaders: foo" is still a false statement, regardless of how you
explain it in the changelog.  The person adding that line isn't an
authorized uploader, and doesn't even have a working relationship with the
maintainer; adding oneself to the Uploaders: field only serves to break our
ability to properly track such an upload as an NMU.

> >If you meant that Nelson would only be added to the Uploaders: field with
> >Matthew's approval, then I guess I don't know why the QA team's input would
> >be required.
> No, I wanted to hear you opinion if Matthew would not answer and my
> conclusion
> (for a different case than this) seems to be that NMU should be prefered
> over adding somebody to the Uploaders field, right?

Yes, there's nothing wrong with an NMU, as long as it's done right --
which means making sure the maintainer can come by afterwards and have a
full documentation trail of what was done.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer