Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

Le Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 05:41:01AM -0400, Michael Stone:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:34:05AM +0200, Benjamin BAYART wrote:
> >If a package is orphaned in Debian, but still have users and people
> >willing to maintain the software, this proposition can help.
>
> I'm still just not getting it. So you've got an external developer
> community that will be active in putting patches into a debian rcs but
> won't submit bugs with patches?

No. They would submit patches, or via the bug tracking system, or via an
rcs. The main difference is the result produced:
- with the bug tracking system, you have a patch which sleeps there for
  years, waiting for someone to care
- with an rcs, you have an updated repository available to everybody,
  and which will be used later by a Debian developper to make a package
  upload quickly.

In fact, you have those benefits from having an open rcs:
- the patches are already merged;
- the patched version is easyly available with tools like
  svn-buildpackage without waiting for a debian maintainer;
- when a maintainer (from debian-qa?) wants to make a package upload it
  is easier.

Regards,

	Benjamin.