Re: dehs will stop

Hmm.  I quite like the dehs idea.  Possibly there are no well-defined
goals so far, but this is an area Debian as a whole could improve in.

Here are some thoughts.

 1. Assert that every .orig.tar.gz which does not extract to
    foo_ver.orig/ is identical to the one provided by upstream.
 2. Keep statistics on the turn-around time for packages.
 3. Alert maintainers when new releases become available.

Of these, only 3 is/was implemented.  I would find 3 useful, and I
expect many others would too.

2 is useful for finding MIA maintainers or de-facto orphaned packages.
If, for example, a new upstream release is available, but is not
packaged for Sarge, then that package should be manually investigated.
Someone acting on behalf of -qa should go and make sure that its still
useful and properly integrated.

1 is a safety measure.  It prevents people from using a nonoriginal
.orig, for example, to plant a trojan.  It also acts as a check; of
course, every .orig should be original.

Justin