gtkhtml is unmaintained

Takuo Kitame, the maintainer of gtkhtml, has not been maintaining it,
and an upgrade has been necessary for ages to fix a known gnucash
printing bug.  He has told me that he thinks gtkhtml should be dropped
because it's been replaced with newer versions, but gnucash depends on
the old gnome-1 version of things, and cannot use the newer libraries.

I'm happy to maintain gtkhtml myself, but Takuo Kitame has not
apparently been willing to answer my emails offering to take over the
old legacy package.

What is the proper procedure here?  He's not MIA by any means.

Thomas