Re: Candidates for removal

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:

>  1340 days: trn (0 waiting, new pkg, has RC bugs) [Matthew Vernon]
>   49 popcon installs of which 32 'old', 1 'recent', 1 'nofiles'
>    Non-free.  Non-free trn4 (provides trn) is substantially better maintained.
>    Maintainer should probably be warned before removal.

Note that trn4 is *not* a simple replacement for trn.  It has a similar
interface but a completely different configuration system and a different
(and disjoint) set of bugs.

That being said, people who are still using trn should probably be
investigating better-supported newsreaders such as slrn.

>  1320 days: gnubg (0 waiting, new pkg, has RC bugs) [Corrin Lakeland]
>   204 popcon installs of which 153 'old', 8 'recent', 2 'nofiles'
>   New upstream release two years and two months ago.  Multiple build
>   failure bugs.  Maintainer should probably be warned before removal.

I play this regularly.  Please orphan before simply removing; the problems
don't look particularly hard to fix.  There is a much, much newer upstream
version and it looks like it's been ported to GTK 2.  I'll take this one
if no one else steps forward.  Orphaning gives a real chance at
volunteers.