Re: packages with invalid maintainer fields

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 04:02:23PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 03:36:44PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> >> Debian maintainers are required to provide a valid email address in
> >> the maintainer field for package uploads.  Some maintainers have
> >> adopted the policy of various arbitrary filtering rules of their own
> >> invention, under which they will not receive some proper email from
> >> perfectly legitimate senders communicating about their packages.
> >>
> >> I believe such packages should be treated exactly as if the developer
> >> in question has simply put no email address at all in the package.
> >
> > Which is what, exactly, out of curiousity?
>
> Huh?  If there is no email address in the package, then it is
> orphaned.

Again, what material effect does that have?  Does it prevent the person who
has primary interest in the package (whom we commonly term "the maintainer")
from updating it?  It might mildly interest QA people, but since they NMU
packages in bad shape regardless of whether or not they're "orphaned", and
they don't tend to fiddle with packages which are in good shape regardless
of orphaned status, I'm still at a loss to determine what practical effect
the policy you're proposing will have.

- Matt