python-pcgi RC state question/removal suggestion

Hello,

I've been researching RC bugs for my NM T&S part and came across the
python-pcgi package (bug #225539). After downloading the latest upstream
version of this package I found out that:

1. Upstream has a new author and he changed the program name to python-pcgi2
to avoid a name clash with another program written by AM Kuchling of the
python fame. There have also been substantial changes to the software itself.
Its build requirements now include "apache-dev, debhelper,
apache2-threaded-dev | apache2-prefork-dev" whereas the only Build-Depends the
old version used to have was debhelper.

3. I can get the new upstream source to build and could rework the packaging
rules enough to prepare an NMU to close this RC bug.

However, the changes made to the software and needed packaging changes are
substantial, current the maintainer seems to have been inactive for a long
time (judging by the BTS as I don't yet have access to the Echelon) and the
package needs a name change. No apache configuration is done at install by the
old packaging rules as well.

So, I wonder if someone from the QA group could take a brief look at the
package and the upstream at http://www.zope.org/Members/phd/mod_pcgi2/ to
verify my analysis and see if they agree with me that a reasonable course of
action would be to remove this package from the archive and package the new
upstream version correctly from scratch under the appropriate name later on.
I may be interested in packaging the new version once I get through the NM
process, or even earlier, depending on my progress and the QA group's
decision and after attempts to contact the current maintainer, of course.

I've just subscribed to this list, so I don't need a CC on replies.

Thank you for your work,

Alex