Re: help needed with mips build failure

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > > Now, it should be noted, upstream uses autoconf 2.13, and libtool
> > > 1.4c.  So these errors should not be happening, and seem to imply
> > > problems in the Debian auto* packages.
> >
> > Both are deprecated, outdated crap.  Methinks you have some work to do to
> > get these up to 2.5x and libtool 1.5.x...
>
> Nonsense; I'm not upstream and this is a very complicated package.
>
> Upstream is distributing perfectly working source.

No, if they are using libtool 1.4, they are not. Unless you have patched
libtool-generated stuff throughoutly, that is.  It is not a bug *yet*, but I
understand we will force-deprecate libtool << 1.5.6 post sarge, due to
library dependency problems.

As for it being complicated, well, I believe you.  But you need not be
upstream to change the build system, I have done that three or four times
already.  It is not the most gratifying work in the world, at all... but the
result is far easier to keep up-to-date and maintain by a LONG margin.

When they're not willing to change things upstream, I just fork the build
system for Debian (and pester them with patches every two or three
releases).

IMO it takes less effort to do the initial port, and maintain a automake-1.9
tree on my own (usually I only need to edit one or two lines per new
upstream release) than to get automake-1.4 stuff to play nice all the time.

If it is a matter of an old libtool and gettext, I don't even *try* to use
whatever was provided upstream, I forward-port the build system to whatever
we have latest in sid before the first upload to Debian is done.

  Henrique Holschuh