Re: Changelog in Portmap 5-7 is misleading

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:35:43PM -0500, TB wrote:
> >portmap (5-7) unstable; urgency=high
> >
> >  * Silently changes to bind to localhost only
>
> That's the subject of bug #280026 which I use as the first line for
> the changelog entry. So, the first line of the changelog entry is
> one of the problems addressed by the new package.

Do not do that.  It is very confusing for anyone that doesn't know
beforehand about this.  Please write in the changelog what you *did* to the
package.  If you want to write down the bug title, fine, but please do it in
a way that makes it clear what you mean:

  * Fix for "Silently changes to bind to localhost only"

or something like that.

> >    (Closes: #280026, #280128, #280553).
> >    Comment out the OPTION line in /etc/default/portmap.

I see you did write down what changed... but the first line is still too
misleading.  Please consider using something like what I suggested...

> >The changelog is misleading.
>
> Please see above.

Changelogs are a document for everybody, not just for the current
maintainer... so please consider changing the way you write the bug titles
to the changelog.  It works for you, but it is not clear enough to many
others...

  Henrique Holschuh