Re: Please remove rcconf

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 04:06, Ron Murray wrote:
>    What problems are you having with this package?

* Missing dependency on sysv-rc
* Totally inadequate documentation
* Displays every file in /etc/init.d/ as a service even if it
  ends in .dpkg-old or lacks x permission
* Silently omits services whose sequence numbers don't fall into
  one pattern, namely, Snn in {2,3,4,5} and Kmm in {0,1,6} for
  some n and m.  (I infer this from experimentation, not from
  documentation.)  E.g., I set up service "dummy" as K80 in
  runlevels 0 and 6, S20 in 1 through 5 and rcconf would not
  display its name.  When I changed dummy to K80 in runlevel 1
  then rcconf would display its name.  This is very limiting.
* If you disable a service, rcconf _deletes_ all its rc
  symlinks!!

      Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/dummy ...

  The sequence number for {0,1,6} and the sequence number for
  {2,3,4,5} are stored in /var/lib/rcconf/services; if the service
  is enabled  later then these numbers are used to re-install
  symlinks.  But this is wrong.  If a service is disabled using
  rcconf and then its package is upgraded, the postinst will reset
  rc symlinks to their default state.  The right way to disable a
  service is to set all its symlinks to K.

Most of these issues have been reported via the BTS.  Having said
that, I'll defer to the several people who say that they find the
program useful.

This is cc:ed to Joe Oppegaard who is working on a new and better
runlevel editor.
--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk>