Re: Proposal for an advanced Debian-QA system

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:53:54PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2004 21:00, Filippo Giunchedi wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:37:22PM +0100, Bluefuture wrote:
> > > This are some idea for an advanced automatic Debian-qa system:
>
> > > The Debian-qa and debian devel could develop a system for trace all
> > > upstream version of a software using the Debian/Watch file
>
> > please note this check is already implemented in the PTS
> > (http://packages.qa.debian.org) although not globally but on a per-package
> > basis.
>
> That doesn't seem to work at the moment.
>
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xfractint.html
>
> It has a working watch file, and using uscan locally it detects the new
> upstream version, but the page doesn't detect anything.

I don't know if the PTS pages are updated (infact I'm planning to add a
timestamp in the bottom of every page to find this but it ain't easy since
cvs.debian.org anonymous access is denied and no "nightly" tarballs are
provided). Anyhow new watch files are scanned once a month (or whenever the
script extract_watch.py is ran, it is a intensive work though, the script scans
every non-native package .diff file in the archive (main, contrib, non-free of
both US and non-US) and extract the relevant watch file)

> BTW, It would be neat, if the page would complain about a missing watch file.

this would be okay but this issue has been already discussed. Complaining in PTS
about a missing watch file means to force maintainers (as they will receive bug
reports from the users, too) to include watch files and a lot of maintainers
(especially ones in direct contact with upstream or which follow upstream
development) won't like that.
As I stated before the right way for now seems to manually file wishlist bug
reports against packages suggesting a watch file (suggesting means including a
working watch file for the package) and let the maintainer decide.
Given that, also a lintian warning would be okay to add :)

kind regards,
filippo
--
Filippo Giunchedi
GNU/PG key: 6B79D401

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
-- Groucho Marx