Re: Is Philippe Troin MIA?

Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 01:26:15PM +1100, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:09:12AM +1000, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> > >
> > >If Philippe Troin would like to give away bzip2, I will take it.
> >
> > Philippe, I'm very interested on upgrading bzip2 to the current
> > policy version and fixing a number of its 21 bugs. This package has
> > never been uploaded to unstable.
> >
> > I intent to take over bzip2 after a week from now (two weeks from my
>
> He has been active less than two months ago at least on debian-amd64. I
> consider it a bit premature to hijack one of his packages.  NMU'ing is
> something different though, but with zero import and higher bugs, why
> risk breaking the package? It's frozen anyway.
>
> The proper procedure is to contact debian-qa (or mia@qa.debian.org, this
> alias is not publicly archived and hence serves better for
> privacy-sensitive queries and in case of more light suspections[1]).
> After some investigation, packages will be orphaned when needed. For
> urgent matters, you can always NMU of course.
>
> So: I object to hijacking bzip2 at this stage, do wait until/if this
> package is orphaned.

I've gotten a baby in the house very recently and did not have time to
do a good job on bzip2.

So please adopt bzip2 if you feel like it, it needs a new home.

Be warned that the upstream maintainer is somewhat unresponsive (it
takes him a few months to to reply to some enquiry).

The 1.0.2-1 packaging is fairly straightforward, but it does not use
debhelper.

Differences for upstream are:

 - changes in the Makefile to build shared libraries (I at some point
   offered to autoconfiscate bzip2 to its upstream, but he never
   followed up).

 - changes to bzip2recover so that files may be opened safely.  This
   has been forwarded to upstream a long time ago, but upstream did
   not take any action.

Phil.