Re: Ranking of the worst maintainers

Eduard Bloch wrote:
> to visualize what we all already know, I created a simple ranking page
> that counts the bug reports of a certain person together and gives it
> appropriate weight (based on the priority of the package, the time the
> bug has been kept open and its severity). The results can be found here:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~blade/pranger/ranking.html

I seems to me that by these metrics the "best" way to contribute to
Debian is to find something extremely obscure that has 1 user (you, or
perhaps your cat), and a dead upstream, and package it, possibly with a
description like "this package is experimental, not very useful, takes
six months to learn, and you should use bar instead". You then get 0
bugs and rise right to the bottom of the list.

Alternatively, maintain something with few users, and just close all
bugs out of hand when they're received. (Be sure to downgrade their
severity to wishlist too, while closing them.) But by no means should
you try to maintain anything important, or let bugs sit open if you're
waiting on feedback or if there's some disagreement over them. And by no
means should you _ever_ work on closing someone else's bugs, since
Eduard's script won't even credit you for a RC NMU, let alone a patch.

Given the good work of many of the folks in the top 25 or so of this
list, I rather wish I were nearear to the top than #53. Oh well, at
least I'm part of a team that is (debian-boot, #13). Pity that team is
doing such a lazy job providing Debian with its release requirement of
a new installer.

--
see shy jo