Re: Maintainance of your packages

Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:

You've said in [1] that you are currently too busy to take care of your
packages.

Actually, no I didn't - that post refers specifically to qmailadmin which is only in unstable anyway. Do not presume to know anything about another maintainer's situation unless you are specifically told - I found your earlier mail[1] particularly antisocial - final exams were one of a myriad of reasons for my vacation status, most of which are, quite frankly, none of your business.

* mysource
  I'll file a RFH on this package, you obviously don't have enough time
  for this package

Development was funded by a commercial project for which we ended up using another product. I'm more than happy for this package to be removed altogether and the new version packaged from scratch by someone who cares about the product. The package was uploaded early to get feedback about it and probably should have made its way into experimental instead, if at all.

* pound -- reverse proxy, load balancer and https front-end for web-servers
  With your last upload you apparantly broke SSL, advertised in the
  short description, and obviously a core feature of the package. I
  don't think it's of release quality due to this bug, I'm upgrading the
  bug to RC, and will file a RFH on this one too.

Actually upstream broke SSL and are yet to release a fixed version - when they release, I'll release.

* pxesconfig

pxes (dependency) is severely problematic in terms of licenses, policy compliance (static linking, etc.) and ability to build from source. It is unlikely to make its way into Debian any time soon. That said, I am in discussion with upstream and another developer about possible fixes. pxesconfig can go away for now.

* rdesktop

  Still two important bugs open claiming it fails to work completely,
  but you did make a new upload afterwards. You didn't say whether you
  tested it, but I'm not very confident you did, so the bug could still
  be present.

More unnecessary accusations. 1.3.1 has been out over 6 months and is stable - it did resolve a number of endian/connection issues over 1.3.0 and as such I am confident enough that #219497 and #227989 are resolved to close them - the users have been given over 6 months to respond to my queries and there have been no further complaints.

  As there is no real need for a completely broken package
  in sarge, I'll try to get someone to test it, and maybe file a RFH
  too, especially since it's quite high on the popcon stats.

Don't bother - the package is fine as is.

* squirrelmail

  Lots of unattended security issues in woody (fixed by myself), and
  testing/unstable version was in pretty bad shape. I'll put myself as
  maintainer and you as co-maintainer, so that mails to the maintainer
  get attended (I'll forward any). It is basicly unmaintained since
  february, and more than 3 months ago I NMU'd, without any other
  reaction than the note that you were marked as on vacation (for 'final
  exams').

I have already updated and uploaded the package tonight, although I did not (yet) list you as a [co-]maintainer, which I will do on the next upload, unless you beat me to it. I severely miscalculated the releases of both SM and Debian and could have avoided most of the problems by not introducing a development release - this won't happen again. I am at odds with the Debian backporting policy wrt SM anyway, but it is still an important package for me, so go ahead and list yourself as the maintainer and me as a co-maintainer if you prefer.

* qmailadmin

  Seems to fail to work completely, six different people reported that,
  no single maintainer reaction, in addition, it FTBFS's.

  You promised to "It is however a useful package so I will have it
  fixed for the next release", but I don't know if you mean Sarge, but
  then you're quite late. I'll immediately file a RFH bug on this
  package, and upgrade bugs about it not working at all to RC.

I have a 1.2.1 package, but it doesn't compile. Nor does the one at http://www.rnd-software.com/debian/ for that matter. No doubt a simple fix, and one that I'll make when it's not almost 0230.

Meanwhile, if someone wants to take over/remove mysource and pxesconfig then they are most welcome. Same applies for netjuke which had until now dropped off my radar because of the email address used.

Sam

1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2004/07/msg00025.html