How to handle ITAs waiting for a sponsor for a long time?

Hi.

While going through the orphaned packages with RC bugs I found
e.g. distributed-net. According to the bug report it is unusable in its
current state in Debian. There are new packages avalaible for some time
now but the packager is no DD and still searches for a sponsor.
Sometimes I just offer sponsoring such packages but I this creates some
kind of responsibility for the package and I don't want to do it for
too many packages (especially not for non-free ones like this).

So should I recommend removing the package and changing the ITA
to an ITP or remove the package from testing or not touch it at all?

Please note that this are actually two questions:
How to proceed in this case? and
How to proceed with such cases in general (i.e. how long should
one give a ITA to find a sponsor) ?

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>