Re: Makeing Debian more secure - sign binaries with elfsign?

Heya,

* Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> [20040503 09:20]:
> On Friday 30 April 2004 15.25, Andreas Kotes wrote:
> > What do you think? Signed binaries instead of tools like tripwire or
> > aide et all?
>
> Solutions like tripwire and aide, or the forthcoming (when???) solution
> of signing binary packages (together with the package containing
> md5sums of all non-modifiable files) have the advantage of also
> covering data files.
>
> In other words: why put in an infrastructure covering executables only
> when you need a solution to verify data files anyway (I think corrupted
> data files may be equally bad as corrupted program files, as the
> contents of a data file may influence the behaviour of a program
> greatly. Think embedded scheme/perl/... snippets etc. etc.)

I agree on that - maybe 'replacing tripwire' was the wrong phrasing.

A filesystem with runtime-checksums or all files might be nice, or
something which identifies files, too .. i.e.:

- file1 has checksum1/size1
- file2 has checksum2/size2
- file3 is an archive (tgz,deb,rpm,zip,whatever) containing file1+file2
  plus this and that metadata, resulting in checksum3/size3
- file4 is a directory containing file1+file2+file3, with permissions
  and ownership this and that, resulting in checksum4/size4
- ....
- fileX is a root filesystem containing directories/files fileY-fileZ
  with the following metadata: etc ..

.. with the possibility of full recursion, and optional signatures for
each list with checksums. the 'topmost' checksum could be saved on a
disk/usb-stick, or simply written on a piece of paper. integrity checks
might be done the same way .. an added benefit would be the possibility
to identify files, i.e. checksum2/size2 -> file2, contained in file3 ..
great for cleaning old systems. or somethink like checksumF/sizeF ->
file1, infected with virus X (whoops ..)

hm. thinking of that, ELF signing might help for only part of the
system. nonetheless, having /sbin/init, the interpreters, basic system
utilities (fbset, fdisk, e2fsck) verifyable without having to run a
full-blown file modification system might be desirable ..

Kind regards,

   Count

--
Andreas Kotes - ICQ: 3741366 - The views expressed herein are (only) mine!
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the