Re: Giving someone else package-removal/override-editing abilities?

* Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> [2004-02-28 01:36]:
> sometimes disposed of quickly).  #225537 is a classic example of one
> which has been sitting too long.

Hmm, I don't know why this bug has been overlooked or not dealt with,
but quite a few packages were removed just a few days ago.

> Similarly, bugs asking for changes in the overrides file often sit for
> a loooong time.

This was largely because there was no good tool to make changes to the
overrides of just one package.  However, Daniel Silverstone recently
wrote a script, so such requests should be dealt with much more
quickly.

> Clearly James Troup has more important things to deal with.  But couldn't
> there be some more people with the ability to do these particular specific
[...]
> For instance, I'd certainly trust Martin Michlmayr with these abilities,
> and I don't see why anyone else wouldn't...

Sure, I'd trust myself with this and a few other QA people, but I
actually *like* the fact that that removal requests are checked by QA
and ftpmaster.  Sometimes, things are overlooked which are then
noticed by ftpmaster.  In any case, it's also not that removals are
only done by James.  Daniel also does removals, and I'm in regular
contact with him.

> What technical changes would need to be made to allow a select list of
> people the ability to edit overrides, and similarly to allow a select
> list of people to remove packages?

Well, you'd simply make a QA person an ftpmaster, but as I said above,
I like the division of power and don't think it's currently a major
problem.  I don't know the status of #225537 [1], but package removals
are normally done fairly quickly.

[1] I assume the delay might be related to the bug asking for removal
from unstable and stable.  ftpmaster cannot do stable removals, they
are only done at point releases.  Perhaps cloning the bug and having
one for stable and one for unstable would help, but I'm only
speculating here.
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com